Many of you might be wondering what a positive mindset has to do with training. So here’s the thing it has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT! You may be thinking or saying to yourself, ‘It really doesn’t matter if I have a positive mindset or how I feel’… But the way you think, does indeed play a big role in how effective your training is. If you keep telling yourself, ‘this trick is impossible’, ‘I’m never going to be able to do the splits’, ‘I can’t do this - I’m just not made for this’, ‘I’m never going to be able to get strong’ ‘I suck at this’…then guess what? Those thoughts will become reality!
“Once your mindset changes everything on the outside will change along with it” Steve Maraboli
You HAVE to constantly have a positive mindset and tell yourself that you CAN do this & that it is worth it! When you have a positive mindset and focus on the goal you seek, you will begin to influence the events that will allow you to achieve the desired results. If you see yourself as a failure you are going to fail, but if you believe that you can do it, even though the results are not there yet, then you will achieve it.
If you can dream it, you can become it. If you can imagine it, you can achieve it’
Ten Top Tips for a Positive Mindset
1. Write your goals down and put this somewhere where you will see it everyday. Then read over and remind yourself of your goals every single day. This will train your mind set to start expecting them to happen and change any negative thoughts to a positive mindset.
2. Expect to reach your goals don’t just wishful think it. Change your thinking from wishful hoping to expectation. This is key to creating a positive mindset. Don’t just think you can do a pull up, expect to do a pull up! Don’t just think you’ll get the splits… expect to do the splits! Don’t just think you might-perhaps-possibly-maybe-if-I’m-lucky get your straddle inverts some day… expect to get them. This step will also start to change your thinking from negative to a positive mindset and you will start to find ways that will allow you to achieve the desired results.
3. Place yourself. This is used in coaching - the word “place” is used to prepare oneself and create expectation. Placing yourself brings a sense of self-awareness and answers the two questions of “Where am I now?” and “What do I want?” After answering the first two questions the next question is crucial and that is “What do I have to change to get from where I am now to where I want to be?” The answers to these powerful and important questions should place and prepare your mind in terms of knowing how much or how little effort is needed to plan and take action to get to your end result.
4. Visualise yourself doing it. This is where a positive mindset can really become quite fun. See yourself doing the trick or move or pose or stretch. See yourself in your minds eye actually doing the move. Find some images of what it is you are trying to achieve (splits, pull ups or toe hang, meat hooks - whatever) and make a vision board of them (pin them to your fridge or mirror - whatever) so you know and can visualize what it is you are aiming for. Remember, the battle is in your mind…and you ARE going to win and create a positive mindset!!
5. Discipline yourself to work at it. Many of us fear the word discipline because we don’t like to fail. But in order to achieve and maintain results you are going to have to be disciplined and have a positive mindset. So just pick the time of day that works best for you to work out. Then stick to it! After a couple of weeks, you will have formed a habit, and you won’t be thinking, ‘Oh man, I have to do this again’… you will have a positive mindset and will be thinking, ‘I can’t wait to do this again and see if I’ve made progress!’ The discipline is what is going to determine whether you succeed or fail. So be disciplined and keep a positive mindset!
6. Practice, Practice, Practice. As you all know practice makes perfect! The more you put these tips into use, the easier it will become. Read your goals daily, keep a positive mindset, envision what you are going to look and feel like, and keep pushing yourself to achieve what you are after. You can do this! I believe in you, but you have to believe in yourself first. Remember, a positive mindset is the difference between reaching your goals and not reaching them. So strive for a positive mindset every single day.
7. Watch out for those excuses / voices in your head / negative thought patterns. Here are a few examples:
This is NEVER going to work, why am I even wasting my time!
I have been doing this for SO long now, what is the point.
I can’t start now, the holidays are coming up…I’ll just start next month.
I suck at this - maybe I should try something else.
Do any of those excuses or negative thought patterns sound familiar? If that is you, and you absolutely-definitely-truly-madly-deeply want to change the results you get for the BETTER, then you HAVE to change the way you think – you have to have a positive mindset!!
8. Change your ‘I can’t’ to ‘I can!’ So... when the negative thoughts start to come, replace them with positive ones (ie a positive mindset). Using the above examples they become:
This will work and it is worthwhile use of my time practicing
I have been doing this a while and I will reach my goal
I can start this right now with practicing some (whatever move - press ups / stretching)
I am not so great at this right now but I will be better at this soon
9. Realise that setbacks are ok. In fact they are inevitable - so be ok with not being perfect, or having good habits slip once in a while (you are human remember not a machine) - just take it one day at a time. Don’t beat yourself up - just encourage your great self to get back on track and keep up with the positive mindset. Remember it takes practice to build the habit - it's like a muscle you need to work at it before it gets easier.
10. Stay motivated and believe in yourself. I know I know - the hardest part is one month down the line when you’re losing momentum and motivation - this is where the actual hard work begins and where your mindset is going to make you succeed or fail. You have to believe in yourself and believe that you can achieve it even though you don’t see results quite yet. You have to change the way you think about yourself and see yourself achieving your goals and putting in the hard work.
11. Surround yourself with positive people. You have to be amongst people that are going to support your goals and push you towards them. Try to avoid people that are naysayers and going to make you think it’s not possible. The people you hang around will have a LOT to do with whether you have a positive mindset or a negative mindset. So be very careful who you spend the most time with. Make sure it is people who will encourage you and be supportive.
12. Create your ideal environment. Creating both an optimal mental AND physical environment is absolutely crucial to ensure that your path towards your goals is laid out with smooth cement, rather than thick, sticky mud! Don't make life hard for yourself as you need that energy to work on the goal!
So create an ideal mental environment using positive inner dialogue, encouraging and acknowledging everything that you do well, creating positive affirmations, using a vision board etc. Create an ideal physical environment by joining a studio or gym that is close to your home or the office (so you don’t have to brave rush hour traffic to get there). Find a buddy to train with you and hold you accountable. Sign up for a course or training program so that you are amongst like minded people all working towards the same goals.
'Your beliefs become your thoughts, your thoughts become your words, your words become your actions, your actions become your habits, your habits become your values, your values become your destiny.' Mahatma Ghandi
So I hope that has been useful and given you food for thought. Any questions, comments or feedback let me know in the comment section below - I would love to hear your top tips for keeping a positive mindset.